Astrology is a "subjective" science that studies how celestial bodies such as constellations/stars, planets, asteroids and all of their angles' affects people and things here on Earth. It is rooted deep in history. It was the science of the stars prior to astronomy. Astronomy is the "objective" science that studies the same celestial bodies as well as others in the sky today. The charting of a horoscope is astronomical and the interpretation you give it is astrological.
The skies are divided into sections. These sections are labeled as houses and signs. These sections' placement on your chart depends on your place of birth.
- Signs are considered the field of action.
- Divided by space on the ecliptic (a path the planets seem to follow through the sky).
- The ecliptic (circular path) has 360 degrees.
- Each sign is given exactly 30 degrees
- Aries is the first 30 degree section.
- Begins at the Vernal Equinox
- Signs are calculated by Aries ingress (Sun reaches 0 degrees Aries).
- Due to precession (wobble of Earth's axis) this point is now in Pisces.
- Houses are places where the action occurs.
- Planets are the motivating powers and sources.
All of this is very important for when you are ready to start interpreting charts.
This study helps all to see how everything is interconnected. Showing us the harmonious little parts that make up the whole. It is more like a philosophy than a predictive science. It helps us to learn more about ourselves, discovering new qualities and talents we may not have known existed. There for it helps us become more productive. Leaving us with a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
There are many types of astrology.
The original 4:
- Natural/physical: the effects on tides, weather, atmosphere, and seasons.
- This is very interesting. I have been learning a little bit about this topic in my Earthway book. Notes on this can be found here: Books and Resources.
- Mundane/Judicial: effects on nations, economy, and politics.
- Natal/genethliacal: Individuals and their birth charts.
- Horary: specific questions/times/places.
The Western Astrology page is only focused on Natal/genethliacal astrology currently.
In western astrology there are two different types:
- Planet positions are based on signs.
- Ancient way.
- Planet positions based on constellation.
- Accounts for precession.
For the Anasazi people of the American Southwest astrology was a way of life and the core of their belief system. They believe this Earth (Maa-ru the child) is only a temporary home. Their ancient star legends foretell of a time when they will return home to the far off constellation their ancestors came from.
Their astronomical beliefs closely resemble today's astrology, although the book Earthway states that their system is far more accurate. It's planetary rulers cover one whole month instead of splitting them between months. Each month is called a season in Anasazi astrology. Their beliefs are based on the vibrational and gravitation fields of the heavenly bodies and how they affect humans on both the mental and physical levels.
Their healing methods even correlate to the ruling planet's gravitational pull and vibrational frequency.