Saturday, April 18, 2015

Thomas COOK


Thomas Cook

Birth 23 Aug 1831 in Stonelick, Clermont, Ohio, USA
Death 18 Oct 1870 in Clarksville, Clinton, Ohio, USA


Thomas Cook (1831 - 1870)
is your 3rd great grandfather
son of Thomas Cook
daughter of William H Cook
son of Edith Caroline Cook
daughter of Allen "Lee" Roach
You are the daughter of Rebecca Diane Roach 


The hunt for this Thomas Cook was not easy!  That is why it has taken me so long to post anything new.  There were a lot of Thomas Cook's in Ohio between 1850 and 1870, and yes some of them had a son they named William.  I did take clues from the census data I found on his son William.  That he was born around 1833 or 1834 in Ohio.  I also found Thomas' son William living with his sister Isabell and brother-in-law John Hill.  I took this as another clue that Thomas must have had a daughter named Isabell.  This made finding the correct 1860 and 1870 census records.  One of which listed his spouse as Rachel.  Not Nancy!  Reporting birth was not a requirement back then. Someone on ancestry posted a story about family lore that said William had to petition the court to establish verification of birth for certificate purposes. So I figured the usually accepted birth record saying his parents were Thomas and Nancy could belong to someone else.  I actually found 3 or 4 William Cook children born Feb 1868 in Ohio (more than that but wrong middle initials and such going by census data).  Once I excluded the questionable data and went by verifiable facts only, everything started to fall into place.  Here is what I have found.


Name:
Thomas Cook
Age:
18
Birth Year:
abt 1832
Birthplace:
Ohio
Home in 1850:
Stonelick, Clermont, Ohio
Gender:
Male
Family Number:
697
Household Members:


Name:
Thomas Cook
Event Type:
Marriage
Event Date:
05 Mar 1852
Event Place:
Clermont, Ohio, United States
Age:
21
Birth Year (Estimated):
1831
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Age:
18
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
1834
Reference ID: Vol 6 Pg 48 Lic 11 , GS Film Number: 327561 , Digital Folder Number: 004257565 , Image Number: 00433



Name:
Thomas Cook
Age in 1860:
27
Birth Year:
abt 1833
Birthplace:
Ohio
Home in 1860:
Stonelick, Clermont, Ohio
Gender:
Male
Post Office:
Belfast
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name
Age
27
26
7 (William's sister he lived with in the 1880 census listed as Isabell Hill)
4
6/12



Name:
Thomas Cook
Age in 1870:
36
Birth Year:
abt 1834
Birthplace:
Ohio
Home in 1870:
Wayne, Clermont, Ohio
Race:
White
Gender:
Male
Post Office:
Goshen
Value of real estate:
Household Members:
Name
Age
36
35
17 (I really think this is Isabell that the I was misread as a J)
14
6 (Due to death records I believe this is actually Harry)
2



Family lore for William said that his parents both died when he was very young (ancesty.com member story).  This could explain why William appears in the 1880 census with his sister Isabell.  I'm still not sure when or how Thomas died but I did a few searches on him for a death between 1870 and 1880 on FamilySearch.org (since they have the range option, and they have had more records on him than ancestry.com).

I did a search for anybody named Thomas Cook who died in Ohio between 1870 and 1880.  After sifting through all the records I boiled it down to 8 possible records.  I had no idea which one was my Thomas.  I then did a newspaper search and found 2 more for a total of 8.  Well I decided to do a search in the genealogies on familysearch.org (which includes Ancestral files, Pedigree Resource files, International Genealogical Index, and Community Trees) on each death date.  Half way through searching each death date (5th record) I found my Thomas Cook!  YEA!

Ohio, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
Name:
Thomas Cook
Burial Date:
1870
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I00008-9 , System Origin: Ohio-EASy , GS Film number: 182718


This burial is between my Thomas Cook and the one who married an Elizabeth ? and had an Elizabeth Cook.

Here is the resource file I found on mine though.
Pedigree Resource File
birth:
23 August 1831

death:
18 October 1870
CLARKSVILLE, OHIO
marriage:
5 March 1852

    • father: ELZA /COOK/
    • mother: ELNOR /RAPP/
    • spouse: RACHAEL /HILL


YEA! THIS ONE IS MINE!

Updating this on ancestry.com and familysearch.org RIGHT NOW!

And now I have a new hint on ancestry.com!


Name:
Thomas Cook
Birth Date:
23 Aug 1841
Death Date:
18 Oct 1870
Cemetery:
Rapp Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:
Belfast (Clermont County), Clermont County, Ohio, USA
Has Bio?:
N
URL:


From site:
Birth: 
Aug. 23, 1841
Death: 
Oct. 18, 1870
Burial:
Belfast
Clermont County
Ohio, USA




Created by: Jo Roth
Record added: Dec 10, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 102001722



Apparently his birth year on the Head stone was misread as 1841!  No wonder I couldn't find it!

That's all I have on him.  Next up on the ancestry trail is his wife Rachel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment