Thursday, April 2, 2015

Margaret COMBS ROACH

Margaret Combs
Your 3rd great grandmother
Birth abt 1855 in Kentucky, USA
Death


Margaret Combs (1855 - )
is your 3rd great grandmother
son of Margaret Combs
son of John Roach
son of James Linville Roach
daughter of Allen Lee Roach
You are the daughter of Rebecca Diane Roach





I don't know much at all about my 3rd great grandma Margaret Combs.  Any and all help would be appreciated.  I don't know who her parents are only that she reports in census to be born about 1855 in Kentucky.  She is the 3rd wife of Anderson Joseph Roach.  Find a Grave index for him reports that they were married on 18 Nov 1875 in Lee County, Kentucky, although I can not seem to find any record of this.


Name:
Margaret Roach
Age:
25
Birth Year:
abt 1855
Birthplace:
Kentucky
Home in 1880:
Proctor, Lee, Kentucky
Race:
White
Gender:
Female
Relation to Head of House:
Wife
Marital Status:
Married
Spouse's Name:
Anderson Roach
Father's Birthplace:
Kentucky
Mother's Birthplace:
Kentucky
Neighbors:
Occupation:
Keeping House
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and Dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane:
Household Members:


I don't know what happened to her after this.  I really wish there was an 1890 census!  She was half his age so it is very possible that she remarried after Anderson died in 1898.  I really can't tell what happened to her after that.  Unfortunately I appear to be the first one to get this far back in my family.  So I have no stories to get hints off of to try to get more info on her.

I still don't know what her parents' names are.  Here are some notes I took from other sites that might be possibilities but nothing I can prove either way.

Wow!  I just did a search for Combs born in Kentucky living in Perry County, Kentucky on the 1850 Census. (her birth year was 1851 according to her marriage on record, 1855 according to the 1880 Census).  There are 266 records to sift through.  In depth research for another day!

Here is what I found on ancestry tree searches and such:
I cut and didn't paste right away!  I LOST MY NOTE!  I do remember though that 1 person suggested Fielding Combs as her father.

Here is what I found on a Combs research site:
20 Mar 1874 Born: Mary COMBS daughter of Margaret COMBS b Perry Co., [KY] resides Lee Co., illegitimate (Extracted from Lee County Kentucky Births, Deaths and Marriages 1874-1878 and 1900-1910 by Margaret Millar Hayes, Heritage Books by Combs Researcher Debi Houser who adds: See 1875 marriage and 1880 census record below forAnderson and Margaret COMBS Roach. Could the above Mary be same as Mary, age 5 in 1880 census?)

20 Nov 1875 Lee Co. Marriages. Anderson ROACH, age 50, b Madison Co., Ky, 2nd marriage; married 20 Nov 1875 Margaret COMBS, age 24, b Perry Co., Ky, 1st marriage. (Transcribed by Combs Researcher Lynda Combs Gipson)

I then searched the births of Perry County for the 50s, no Margaret found but I did find some unnamed females.

17 Dec 1852 Birth: female Combs daughter of Elias Combs & Lucinda CORNITT (Extracted by Debi Houser from Perry County, Kentucky Records 1850 Census, Vital Statistics, 1852-1859, published by the Perry County Genealogical and Historical Society)

See 1850 Perry.
12 Oct 1857 Birth: female Combs daughter of Wesley Combs & Marian PATTON (Extracted by Debi Houser from Perry County, Kentucky Records 1850 Census, Vital Statistics, 1852-1859, published by the Perry County Genealogical and Historical Society)
28 Jan 1858 Birth: female Combs daughter of Josiah Combs & Pollyan MATTINGLY (Extracted by Debi Houser from Perry County, Kentucky Records 1850 Census, Vital Statistics, 1852-1859, published by the Perry County Genealogical and Historical Society)

I'm wondering if she started out as a Martha and developed into a Margaret or something.  There are a couple of Martha's listed that weren't named again in the Census according to the researchers on the site.  So I wonder if they were named again just maybe as Margaret or something.  Anyways it looks like a great resource otherwise.  Here is the link: 


Searching ancestry for Margaret Combs born 1851 +/- 1 in Kentucky.  Looking for 1860 and 1870 Census data.

Home in 1860:
District 1, Breathitt, Kentucky
Birth Year:
abt 1850
That is the only Margaret Combs living in Kentucky 1860.
There is one other option but that Census was taken in Kansas.

I am going to expand the birth year to include 1855 just-in-case she altered her birth year to get married.

That gives us some more options:
Home in 1860:
District, Letcher, Kentucky
Birth Year:
abt 1853
Home in 1860:
District 1, Breathitt, Kentucky
Birth Year:
abt 1853
Home in 1860:
Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky
Birth Year:
abt 1854
That's all the Combs' with a Margaret or similar to a Margaret born between 1846 and 1856 in Kentucky, living in Kentucky (I only picked those because we know she was married in 1875 in Kentucky).

Now for 1870 (if we find one in Lee County that would be awesome!)

Home in 1870:
Precinct 7, Breathitt, Kentucky
Birth Year:
abt 1847
Home in 1870:
Hazard, Perry, Kentucky (County of birth)

Birth Year:
abt 1855 (same as reported in 1880 Census)
Yea that's all really.
I am going to check family tree's for Elick (Alex) 1816 Kentucky, Mary 1820 Kentucky, and Margaret Combs  1855 Kentucky to see if anyone has claimed a different spouse or anything for her.

There are 2 unsourced that claim her birth year as 1857 (not anything she ever reported) and her spouse as William Benton Cornett.

The others that have her birth year as 1855 (same as I found on Census data) do not associate a spouse to her.  Some even list her birth place as Perry County.  So since William Benton Cornett isn't sourced, I'm not going to let it discourage me from all the other facts that line up.  I truly believe her parents are Alexander S Combs and Mary Brashear.  To much matches perfectly between the 1880 verified census and the 1870 Census I found in Perry County with all of them. 

So I am leaving with this.  She was the last of this line on this chart.  We'll see if any new hints pop up after I put her parents' names in.  Nope!  No new hints.


That's all I have on Margaret Combs, she is the end of this line on this chart.  Next up on the ancestry line is, Sarah Ellen ?, mother of James Linville Roach.

No comments:

Post a Comment